[Pmwiki-users] the descriptions of emphasis

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Dec 8 12:39:22 CST 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 07:18:52PM +0100, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> Is there a moderately easy way to disable Wiki stuff that's "too
> irregular" (by whatever definition)? I'd like to start with a minimal
> set of features and expand as quickly as user expertise and needs grow,
> but I'm not sure whether that's a useful approach.

Yes, it's easy.  Each markup sequence has to be given a unique name--
for most PmWiki built-in markups, the name is either the leading
component of the markup or the name of the directory.  For example,
the name for ''emphasis'' is two single-quotes, the name for [[free links]]
is '[[', etc.

If you want to disable a markup, just call Markup() from config.php
and predefine it as a null markup:

    Markup("''", 'null');         # disables ''emphasis''
    Markup("'^", 'null');         # disables '^superscript^'
    Markup('keywords', 'null');   # disables (:keywords:)

Subsequent calls to Markup() to define any of these markups won't
override the existing null definitions, so they're effectively disabled.

The scripts/stdmarkup.php the list of PmWiki's "standard" markups,
although function-specific markups such as (:search:), (:attachlist:),
etc. are defined in their respective scripts.

This information deserves a cookbook entry.