[Pmwiki-users] config.php, $RecentChangesFmt

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Dec 7 14:48:49 CST 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 04:12:27PM -0500, Brian Clark wrote:

> I guess that needs to be made clearer (which, I suppose I'll go edit the
> documentation), but I'm now wondering why it doesn't format as the page
> is sent to the browser rather than when the file is written.

Why it doesn't format as ?what? is sent to the browser?

RecentChanges is just a wiki page just like any other, and it's far
quicker to render a page of text than it is to go through every page
listed to determine when it was last updated and by whom.

OTOH, I suppose we could always introduce a "recent changes" markup,
so that each line in the *.RecentChanges files would be stored as

   (:changed Something.PageName, when, author:)

which is then converted to an appropriate form on output.  But that
would mean that RecentChanges could no longer be used as a WikiTrail,
and it would mean more work for the rss.php script.

Alternately, we could just overload the existing '*' markup as in

   * Something.PageName (:rc when, author:)

which PmWiki would then know to render the whole line specially because of
the (:rc ...:) directive.