local htaccess (was: Re: [Pmwiki-users] What is the *patch file for?)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Dec 6 09:40:09 CST 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 11:28:22AM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> At 2004-12-06  08:52 AM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> >And yes, local/ is reserved for the sites local scripts, but I make an
> >exception for this one file.  I think for new site admins it's
> >important that PmWiki already have local/.htaccess file in place for
> >the initial installation, so the admin doesn't get a nasty hacking
> >surprise later on.
> >
> >It'll be fixed in the next release.
>
> I think it would also be worth a note on the download and install page.

Well, the download and install page needs to be rewritten anyway, too
many people claim it's confusing (probably because it was written with
a unix-centric perspective).  But this also points out that a note
about .htaccess probably needs to go somewhere *other* than download+install.
Perhaps it could go in [[Files and Directories]] (with a link to
FilesAndDirectories from the install page).  And  yes, it's worth placing
a comment inside of .htaccess itself.

Thanks for the suggested text -- it's excellent.