[Pmwiki-users] Locking?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Dec 3 11:30:44 CST 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 09:50:59AM -0800, Penguinista wrote:
> I'm setting up my first PMwiki (impressed with its
> design after playing with  3 or 4 other wikis). But
> what I can't find is any reference to page locking
> while editing. How can I set up PMwiki so that
> whenever someone opens a page to edit it, the page is
> locked so that the person editing the page has
> exclusive access?

PmWiki doesn't have edit locking, and doesn't need it.  If
two or more people attempt to edit the same page at the same
time, then when each person saves PmWiki will merge the
authors' changes together (and mark any conflicting
edits so they can be resolved).

There are a lot of reasons why "page locking" doesn't work
in this context; the biggest being the problem of knowing
what to do if someone requests editing a page but doesn't
save it (i.e., jumps to another page or closes the browser)
or otherwise doesn't release the lock.  So PmWiki just
avoids the issue altogether by merging multiple edits
together.

(See http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users_pmichaud.com/2003-August/001125.html for a fuller description of the problem.)

However, I do need to write a page to document and describe
the simultaneous edit handling features of PmWiki.  :-)