[Pmwiki-users] Problem with %define= ... %

John Rankin john.rankin
Thu Dec 2 17:15:32 CST 2004

On Friday, 3 December 2004 11:32 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 11:21:05AM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
>> >Then someone would do
>> >
>> >    (:css .box { border:1px solid black; } :)
>> >
>> >    %box% This text is in a box.
>> >

>> Yes! And one might go slightly further and accept
>>
>>     (:css box { border:1px solid black; } :)
>
>Well, I'm thinking ahead to the day when we might want to support
>more than css class definitions; e.g., to style the <dfn> tag:
>
>   (:css dfn { font-style:normal; } :)

I need to think about this. My first reaction is that is seems
somehow wrong to create a simple markup to hide the complexities
of html, then expect authors to know which markups turn into
what html elements. While an experienced author might, we don't
in general know who will be editing the page, so appear to be
creating a possible barrier for new or non-html-aware authors.
Which is most of us.

Similarly, is 'css' the best choice of directive?

Can we not do something like use the opening markup characters,
or give the markups real world names?

    (:style '' ...

seems more recognisable than

    (:css em ...