[Pmwiki-users] the descriptions of emphasis

Neil Herber nospam
Thu Dec 2 08:21:16 CST 2004

Point taken. But if PmWiki is to favor writers over readers should the
objective not be to have simple markup that is familiar to writers?

Saying "doubled single-quotes is used for for emphasis (usually italics)"
seems a lot less writer-friendly to me than saying "doubled single-quotes
produce italics". I don;t think it really matters what HTML code is finally
emitted as long as the rendering is predictable. Telling a writer that they
will "usually " get italics seems wrong.

Of possibly no importance at all, HTML tools like Adobe Golive CS have
"bold" and "italic" buttons plainly visible on the toolbar and the code
they emit is <b> and <i>. The emphasis and strong tags are buried two
levels below the TYPE menu. I posted a 16kb screen shot here:

http://www2.eton.ca/golive_markup.gif

This suggests to me that even HTML authors will be inclined to use the
deprecated markup. Mind you, some people think that *real* HTML authors use
text editors and not fancy-schmancy things like Golive. ;->