[Pmwiki-users] pmwiki 2.0.beta4 released

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Dec 1 10:40:29 CST 2004

I've just released pmwiki-2.0.beta4, which fixes a number of bugs that
were inadvertently introduced by the changes in 2.0.beta3.  Other than
that, there aren't any major changes in this release, so sites using
earlier 2.0.beta releases are highly encouraged to upgrade to this one.

For the benefit of people on pmwiki-announce or who haven't had time
to follow pmwiki-users very closely, here's a summary of where things
stand right now.

The latest version of PmWiki 1 is 1.0.14.

PmWiki 2 has entered the "beta" sequence, which means that no major or
substantive changes are planned to the software before its official
release.  The pmwiki.org site is running the 2.0 software without any
problems, and many other sites are reporting excellent success with 2.0.
I'm recommending that all new sites start directly with the 2.0 software.

Converting an existing PmWiki 1 site to PmWiki 2 requires more than simply
copying the new software onto the server, but PmWiki 2 supplies a
conversion script that helps with a lot of the changes.  Several sites
have successfully converted to 2.0 using the script and thus far it
doesn't appear to be an onerous undertaking.  More details about the
differences and upgrade procedures are available at pmwiki.org.

What remains before PmWiki 2.0 becomes an official release is to
complete the items on the PITS "ToDo" list (http://www.pmwiki.org/PITS/ToDo),
particularly documentation.  I don't have a time estimate for when
2.0 will become official, but I'd be very surprised if we don't have
a 2.0 official release before the end of December.