[Pmwiki-users] [:summary:] directive for PmWiki 2.0?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Aug 31 12:52:57 CDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 02:44:16PM -0400, Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:
> I'd like to have a [:summary:] directive in PmWiki 2.0.  Uses for
> summaries:
> - meta tag information (meta name="description") for search engines
> - display above or alongside article, in case it's really long
> - supplement or replace teaser text
> - use in expanded wikitrails

I'm adding this to PITS, except my plan has been to have a
[:description ...:] directive instead of "summary"?  Any reason why
we should choose one over the other?

> Expanded wikitrails: as well as displaying the page title and/or name,
> display a summary or teaser, and possibly a datestamp.

Wikitrails are being combined with search and page listings to provide
a generic "list this set of pages in xxx format" capability.  In other
words, I decided that WikiTrails, search, and page listings are just
different ways of selecting a set of pages to be displayed, and
then we should be able to have different ways of displaying the set
(e.g., w/summaries, time stamp, sorted by author, sorted by last
modification, as a menu, etc.).