[Pmwiki-users] Upload process failing

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Aug 9 11:18:05 CDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 03:15:48PM -0600, Michael Barton wrote:
> I'm trying to upload files into my PmWiki (1.0.6).  I'm using Internet
> Explorer on a W2K system - PmWiki is running under Apache 2.0 on a Linux
> system.
>
> Generally, the upload process works fine.  However, there are certain
> documents that, when I attempt to upload them, I get dropped into the
> 'Cannot find server - The page cannot be displayed' error page instead of
> seeing the 'successfully uploaded' page.

This sounds like an Internet configuration problem, or a timeout problem.
Neither PmWiki nor Apache nor PHP are responsible for "Cannot find server"
errors.

It could also be a caching problem--Internet Explorer or some intermediate
proxy may be remembering that a previous upload of 'atsc.pdf' returned
"The page cannot be displayed" and so it's returning that immediately
rather than attempting the resubmit.

> For example, I have configured UploadMaxSize in upload.php to 2500000.  I
> have a PDF file named atsc_standards_54.pdf, whose size is 572K.  I can
> select the file using the 'Browse...' button.  I enter 'atsc.pdf' into the
> 'name' filed, then hit 'Upload'.  The browser goes directly to 'The page
> cannot be displayed'.  If I browse to a different file 'ChefVal.doc', and
> use 'atsc.pdf' as file name, the upload goes fine.  I can upload other PDF
> files.
>
> Is this a PmWiki or an Apache problem?  Is there a way to find out what's
> going wrong?

You might also make sure the problem isn't with large files themselves;
in addition to PmWiki's $UploadMaxSize (which should be set in
local/config.php and not upload.php, btw), PHP places a limit on
uploaded file sizes (usually 8M by default) and many Apache
installations also place a limit on the size of POST requests (512K is
the default on Red Hat Linux systems).