[Pmwiki-users] some experience with trees

J. Meijer commentgg
Thu Aug 5 15:03:59 CDT 2004

I am using small trees now. Perhaps because I am using a proprietary skinning system from within pmwiki, it is proving to be very useful. Now when I have subgroups with a different skin, I can use something like:

  Group.SkinBlack

And then put all addition skin elements (group customization) in it, such as the sidebar to use. Pages within 'Group' then subscribe to the resource instead of the default 'Group' settings.

I'd like to shout: this is quite comfortable! So please experiment with trees, say those who have a personal site. I am still finding out the ways to effectively harness the power of trees, they serve as a tool, while generally adhering to the pmwiki group.page stucture. Especially for system related pages, trees work great, because the user normally doesn't get confronted with the full path. I am thinking about moving all system pages into a single NULL group, like this:

  Group..SideBar

Note the 2 dots, implying an unnamed level between 'Group' and 'SideBar'. Perhaps this is just a form of associating a set of resources with 'Group'. I have yet to find out how to deal with this in an inspiring way. But it is exciting to work with. A development version of pmwiki should definitely support this.

The great news of course is that pmwiki basically already supports trees. The feature just wasn't enabled before :-)

Another required feature is (mass) page-renaming.

-jm

ps I'll be washing dishes for the next few months in a foreign country. I am probably forced to halt development now and even attending the list may get difficult. I have good code to share and I hope to get back to publishing it. That is a major step, going from a proprietary to a public (generic) template, all organized to ease newbies into it.
Greetings John, Scott, Christian, Patrick, PmWiki is still quite simplistic, but you guys built in something called potential. Or maybe this is simply the power of wiki's well preserved. Welcome Ciaran, Jason, Kass and many others: you *will* enjoy being part of this little community, because pmwiki is going to flourish. I'd like to be there too.