[Pmwiki-users] Brainstorm (Page Locks)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Apr 13 15:45:53 CDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 10:31:07PM +0200, Nils Knappmeier wrote:

> >It doesn't matter how many edits took place behind the scenes while
> >you were working on your changes, because the diff3 is always based on
> >the latest version of the page, which could be the result of multiple
> >edits, and the version that was in effect when you requested the edit,
> >which PmWiki can deduce from the timestamp of the original edit.
> >

> I see. Mhm, I hope you somehow leave the option to stay with the old
> behavior for diffs.

The old behavior for diffs doesn't change at all--it's what is used
when someone does a submit and there hasn't been an edit conflict (either
because there was no conflict or because they've just cleaned up the
merge).  PmWiki will still continue to only store the differences between
each successive stored version of the page.

> I probably won't find the time to implement a PHPDiff3 or something in
> the near future, and I'd really like to continue having working diffs on
> my personal homepage (which runs in safe mode).

The simultaneous edits feature will be optional.  It'll be controlled
by $MergeFunction and $SysMergeCmd--if either of these are set to null
then PmWiki won't do any merging of simultaneous edits (effectively the
same behavior as now).