[Pmwiki-users] Re: simultaneous edit corruption?

Konstantin Zadorozhny kzadorozhny
Fri Apr 9 22:06:11 CDT 2004

Hello, Patrick!
You wrote  on Fri, 9 Apr 2004 09:14:29 -0600:

 PRM> On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 09:02:25AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
 ??>> On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 12:48:07AM -0700, Konstantin Zadorozhny wrote:
 ??>>>     Why dont do that the way CVS "kind of" solves that problem? On
 ??>>> page submit try to merge two versions of page. If any conflicts
 ??>>> happend don't update database and let the submitter to resolve them.
 ??>>> Then user can repeat to submit page again. That is pretty simple and
 ??>>> well known approach for me.
 ??>>
 ??>> Simple?  What's the algorithm for performing the merge and finding
 ??>> the conflicts?  I'll be happy to implement it if it's indeed a
 ??>> "simple" algorithm.

    I didn't tell that algorithm is simple, "simple" is that this method is
already widely used and simple to understand from user prospective.

 PRM> Never mind, I'll just write it to use diff3 (an external program
 PRM> commonly available on most unix systems) and be done with it.  I'll
 PRM> also update the WinDiff distribution to include the diff3.exe program.
 PRM> :-)

    Yes, diff3 ability to merge files that what I meant but forgot ot
mention it in my post.

With best regards, Konstantin Zadorozhny.