[Pmwiki-users] simultaneous edit corruption?

Greg Morgan Cybie
Thu Apr 8 19:42:44 CDT 2004

Steven Leite wrote:

>>does pmwiki support protecting
>>multiple folks from editing the
>>same page and corrupting the
>>other person's edits?
>>
>>for example, open two browsers.
>>in browser A, click edit to edit
>>a page.  a little bit later, in browser
>>B, click edit, make changes, then
>>commit.  some time later still, edit
>>and commit changes for A.
>>
>>it appears that B's changes will
>>be lost?
>>
>>any way to protect against this?
>>
>>could we place a timestamp in
>>the edit page when that page is
>>served and when that page is
>>commited, look at the timestamp --
>>if it is later than the last modified time
>>of the page, then abort it.
>>

>I'm not sure on the details, but I do know this has been a long debated and
>talked about topic.  To my knowledge, there is no protection, or if there
>is, it's not very reliable.  Don't take my word on that though, I'm not
>certain on it.
>
>What I am certain about though is that this should be high on the
>development list.  I think it's pretty important.  I know other wiki's have
>this feature, so I'm not sure why PmWiki doesn't (or does it?).
>
>-S

You know Steven, your idea for page locks is actually starting to look
better and better.   I don't know about you guys but if I were making
major changes to a page (several paragraphs worth) and my changes were
dropped in favor of an edit where someone fixed a typo (like changing
"teh" to "the"), I'd be kind of annoyed.  I'd much prefer that one of us
waited our turn.