[Pmwiki-users] Easily Hackable?

H. Fox haganfox
Tue Apr 6 20:26:09 CDT 2004

I thought of another way to resist site hackability if you are using
PmWiki to collaboratively maintain a set of public web pages.

I was able to create a read-only mirror copy of my PmWiki-based site
using GNU wget <http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/wget.html>.  The mirror
copy of the site would of course would be "non-hackable" in the sense of
the original post, since it merely consists of flat HTML files.

The pages could be served from read-only media if you're extra paranoid.
  PHP doesn't even need to be installed on the server.

The following command is only one line:

wget -r -l 10 -k -nd -E -D www.example.localnet -q
http://www.example.localnet/

Translated, this means:

   Go get the site at www.example.localnet.
   Use recursive retrieving.
   Recurse a maximum of 10 levels.
   Do not create a hierarchy of directories.
   Convert the links for "local viewing".
   Append the suffix .html to files that need it.
   Stay on the www.example.localnet domain.
   Turn off Wget's output.

The mirror copy looks exactly like the original, except for searching,
which submits the query to the original site.  Some other method of
searching would need to be used (Google?).

The hyperlinks to pages on the mirror copy are all relative, so all of
the pages and images could be zipped up and transfered to any server and
served up from there.

The flat HTML pages are delivered very quickly with minimal system load.

Hagan