[Pmwiki-users] Idea: page fallbacks

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat May 17 14:48:16 CDT 2003

Several people have commented about the desirability of a "page
fallback" feature, but I'm having trouble following the thread or
knowing where things are at the moment, and following PmWiki
Philosophy #3 I have a tendency not to implement anything until
I have a clear idea of exactly what it's supposed to do.

- is it better to have "fallback pages" or "fallback groups"?
- do we have a clear markup syntax?  John Rankin's proposal
  was using ~ for illustrative purposes--is that the markup we
  want to use?  What things are allowed to follow the ~?
- is there a more descriptive/better term than fallbacks?
- are there any other wiki engines that implement a similar concept that
  we might want to borrow from?

As with most features, if it can be implemented as a separate script
module outside of pmwiki.php or with minor changes, it can happen fairly
quickly.