[Pmwiki-users] Re: indent sequence (was: Whitepaper about markup strategy)

Thomas Tyler tgtyler at att.net
Sat May 17 04:33:00 CDT 2003

> The colons don't really mean "indent" -- they really mean
> "definition lists", as in:

> 	:term:definition
> 	:apple:A red, yummy fruit.

> Early on in wiki history someone discovered that you could just leave
> the term part out of the colons and you'd get indented text.

In my experience with my wiki authors, the : markup is used almost solely to
indent text (which is why the markup causes problems when there are times in
"indented" text). They don't understand that a definition list is something
else entirely.

I'm curious... how often is the : markup used for its intended purpose? How
often is it used just to indent text (in which case I think blockquote may
be the more "appropriate" HTML tag)?

Janice, via Tom