[pmwiki] Re: [Pmwiki-users] Whitepaper about markup strategy

Bernhard.Weichel at t-online.de Bernhard.Weichel at t-online.de
Sat May 17 01:29:24 CDT 2003

Thomas Tyler wrote:

> [* bold text *]
> [/ italic text /]
> [*/ bold italic /*] or [/* bold italic */]
> [_ underlinded text _]
>
> And as long as the [[<<]] markup is being discussed, how about [=] ?
> It's at least fewer characters, and they're close together on the
> keyboard.  :)

Please note that on German Keybords "[" is not that easy to type.

so [=] is actually

[Alt Gr]+8, [shift]+0, [Alt Gr]+9

With this in mind it should be easy to understand that

.br .b-table

is much easier to type. In *My* Humble Opinion it is even easier to read
than =br =b_table.

German non-technical contributors also appreciate ease of typing.

And in the tradeoff between "easy to type" "easy to read" "defined by few
production rules" I agree that XML-style only wins the "defined by few
production rules".

For that reason I proposed to provide a customizable basic syntax which
would allow the
wiki admin to customize if she wants

.br =br [[br]] <br/> {br} this_is_markup-br ?br ++br ~br #br or whatever she
likes.

--b