[Pmwiki-users] 2 free link questions

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat May 10 15:47:39 CDT 2003

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 09:16:05PM +0100, edward at aldreth.com wrote:
> I have just installed PmWiki and am very impressed by it.

Thanks!

> To keep the links readable i was hoping to use free links with alternate text.  I am trying to have links to English/HomePage, MathsHomePage, History/HomePage and so on but don't know how to format this correctly.
>
> Entering English/HomePage produces a link to the correct page, but it ust says HomePage, as Maths/HomePage all do.  To try and make the link say English, I put [[{{English/HomePage}} English]], I see [[{{HomePage}} English]] instead.

Use any of the following:
  [[English/HomePage English]]
  [[English.HomePage English]]
  [[English/{{HomePage}} English]]

However, you might also want to try English/{{English}}, Math/{{Math}}, and
History/{{History}}, which would make the home page in each group the
same as the name of the group, and you wouldn't need the double brackets.

> Q2: At the bottom of the free links documentation page it says:
> The administrator can configure non-existent free links to display as
> (alternate text)? for greater clarity.   How do I do this?

In the local.php file, add the line

  $WikiPageCreateSpaceFmt =
    "(\$LinkText)<a href='\$PageUrl?action=edit'>?</a>";

If you want all pages to display as (newpage)?, then also add the line

  $WikiPageCreateFmt =
    "(\$LinkText)<a href='\$PageUrl?action=edit'>?</a>";