[Pmwiki-users] comment/vote on proposed changes

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed May 7 00:28:04 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, 7 May 2003 12:09 PM, Dawn Green <green at thunderdata.com> =
wrote:
> Sounds good to me. Escaping a whole wikiword is more author-efficient =
than
> escaping individual wiki letters, and easier to explain. Could we do 1 =
for
> backward compatibility as well, please? It's not a big deal for me to =
change
> things, so I'm relaxed if you prefer to omit it.

I have to say that I am generally concerned about creating a second =
mechanism
for escaping formatting.  Why is the [=3D =3D] method not acceptable?  I =
would
rather see us hold off on this until some time down the road.  As more =
users
begin to use PmWiki, more needs for symbols for formatting are sure to =
arise
so why not wait on this?  Perhaps, an explanation will ease my mind.

Dawn

---
It has a bit of a tortuous history. It started when an author wanted to =
make a named reference a [[#WikiWord]]. This same person had also =
commented on the non-friendliness of writing [=3DWikiWord=3D] all the time =
and was pleased to kill 2 birds with one tick.

The first problem has gone away with Patrick's change to use LinkPatterns =
instead of InlineReplacements for [[#WikiWord]]. I must admit that now it'=
s there I use Wiki`Word a lot. I haven't yet found a use for &A`Elig;. I =
do find editing pages that read Wiki`Word easier than editing [=
=3DWikiWord=3D] but that's just me.

One of the coolest things about pmwiki is that it's so easy to do local =
customisations to meet local needs, at the local administrator's risk.

In general, I endorse the principle of 'when in doubt, leave it out'. So =
since there is a question about this item, I agree with Dawn's proposal =
that it should stay local.

JR