[Pmwiki-users] aliasing / to pmwiki, but retaining /~user use

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at sci.tamucc.edu
Mon May 5 22:14:41 CDT 2003

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:08:58PM -0500, J.R. Manes wrote:

> I might have read right past this part of the setup, but is it possible to
> setup pmwiki to be the root of your site, but then also allow users on your
> site to keep their /~username/ sites?

I haven't figured out a good way to alias PmWiki to the root of a site,
which is why all of my sites typically use /wiki/Group/Pagename as
their URLs.  (See PmWiki.ChangePmWikiURL.)  This of course doesn't
interfere with the /~username semantics.  Of course, the URL doesn't
have to be "/wiki", it could be "/web", "/pages", "/www", or whatever
prefix you might like.  (Out of curiosity, does anyone know what
Amazon's "/exec/obidos" is supposed to mean?)

Somehow I think that doing

   Alias / /path/to/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/

is probably a Bad Thing from a server perspective, although I've never
tried it to see what would happen.  And I haven't played much with having
pmwiki.php be named index.php (in such a way that index.php never appears).
Maybe I'll play with it on my local server a bit and report back.