[Pmwiki-users] notes on pmwiki documentation

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at sci.tamucc.edu
Sat Mar 1 15:16:03 CST 2003

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Dawn Green wrote:

> > But handling the concatenation of all trail pages into a single displayed
> > page appears to be a bit tricky without either duplicating or modifying
> > a lot of code from pmwiki.php to properly process headers and footers
>
> Speaking of WikiTrails, I'd like to see an example of this in use.  URLs
> anyone?

Sure, take a look at http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/Documentation .

This page defines a "trail" of pages that can be accessed in sequence
based on the order in which they appear here.  Each of the pages on the
trail should include the markup "<<|PmWiki.Documentation|>>" somewhere
on the page (e.g., at the bottom).  This markup is then replaced with
links to the previous and next pages as defined by the trail on the
PmWiki.Documentation page.

Right now there are only a few pages actually defined on the trail, but
if you look at the bottoms of
   http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/Installation  and
   http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/Passwords
you'll get a feel for what WikiTrails can do.  Note that this makes
reorganizing the sequence of pages or adding new pages quite easy--
simply edit the trail page (PmWiki.Documentation in this case).

There are a couple of other markups available:
   ^|TrailPage|^ will show a page's ancestry to the trail page
   <|TrailPage|> will completely omit the "<PrevPage|"  or  "|NextPage>"
   markups at the beginning or end of the trail respectively.

----

While I'm here, I again invite everyone to help with the documentation
effort.  I have a tentative table of contents available at
http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/Documentation, feel free to edit
any of the pages on this list, to add entries that you think need to
be included in the list, or to reorganize anything that you find there.
None of the documentation is sacred at the moment (except perhaps
the PmWikiPhilosophy :-).