[Pmwiki-users] Valid XHTML generation

Kirill Lapshin kir at lapshin.net
Tue Jun 3 22:33:41 CDT 2003

------=_NextPart_000_0054_01C32A28.90B84640

Hi All,

I just started using PmWiki, and like it quite a lot. One annoying thing =
though is that the html it generates is nowhere near valid xhtml. P, BR, =
IMG, LI tags are never closed, the document structure is not valid, etc.

It imposes quite a big problem for me, because I am trying to plug =
OpenMathTag code into Wiki. OpenMathTag is an open source PHP code which =
parses LaTeX formulas and generates MathML code out of it. MathML is =
supported by Mozilla quite well, too bad IE does not support it, but =
forcing users to use Mozilla might be acceptable for some wiki sites. So =
I thought that it is giong to be a nobrainer to add new custom markup, =
say \[ formula goes here \], and use OpenMathTag to process it (\[..\] =
is a standard LaTeX style for formula specifications). However it turns =
out that Mozilla renders MathML only in xml mode (in text/xml mime). And =
as I said before pages generated by PmWiki are nowhere near being valid =
XML-documents.

I tried to hack pmwiki.php, but it appears to be much harder then I =
thought.
Is there any plans on improving quality of generated pages?

Another problem I've encountered is that due to apache configuration my =
hosting has I can't use regular authentication model. I've seen on this =
list discussion on implementing alternative method -- via dialog and =
cookies. Is it something on the todo list?

TIA.

- Kirill

------=_NextPart_000_0054_01C32A28.90B84640

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dkoi8-r">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi All,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I just started using PmWiki, and like =
it quite a=20
lot. One annoying thing though is that the html it generates is nowhere =
near=20
valid xhtml. P, BR, IMG, LI&nbsp;tags are never closed, the document =
structure=20
is not valid, etc.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It imposes quite a big problem for me, =
because I am=20
trying to plug OpenMathTag code into Wiki. OpenMathTag is an open source =
PHP=20
code which parses LaTeX formulas and generates MathML code out of it. =
MathML is=20
supported by Mozilla quite well, too bad IE does not support it, but =
forcing=20
users to use Mozilla might be acceptable for some wiki sites. So I =
thought that=20
it is giong to be a nobrainer to add new custom markup, say \[ formula =
goes here=20
\], and use OpenMathTag to process it (\[..\] is a standard LaTeX style =
for=20
formula specifications). However it turns out that Mozilla renders =
MathML only=20
in xml mode (in text/xml mime). And as I said before pages generated by =
PmWiki=20
are nowhere near being valid XML-documents.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I tried to hack pmwiki.php, but it =
appears to be=20
much harder then I thought.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is there any plans on improving quality =
of=20
generated pages?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Another problem I've encountered is =
that due to=20
apache configuration my hosting has I can't use regular authentication =
model.=20
I've seen on this list discussion on implementing alternative method -- =
via=20
dialog and cookies. Is it something on the todo list?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>TIA.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- Kirill</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0054_01C32A28.90B84640--