[Pmwiki-users] why underline does not exist ?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Jul 30 10:28:39 CDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 06:15:31PM +0200, garfield_fr wrote:
> hello !
>
> this style does'nt exist !! I known it's possible to do it with
> wikistyle but the basic user have bold, italic ...but not underline

As with most items, adding this feature needs a good markup sequence.
My best ideas off of the top of my head would be

   __this text is underlined__   (two underscores)
   [_this text is underlined_]   (bracket+underscore)

The first one can be easily done by placing the following in local.php:

  $InlineReplacements["/__(.*?)__/"] = "<u>\$1</u>";

Note, however, that the <u> tag has been deprecated in HTML 4.x and is not
available in XHTML 1.1, so it's not really a good "standard" to use.  Instead,
we might be able to do

  $InlineReplacements["/__(.*?)__/"] =
    "<span style='text-decoration:underline'>\$1</span>";

but I don't know how widely supported this will be by various browsers.

If I hear enough comments in favor of adding one of the above markups
to the standard PmWiki distribution I'll do it.