[Pmwiki-users] PmWiki on Boa

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sun Jul 27 12:04:56 CDT 2003

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 04:18:15PM +0200, Carlo Strozzi wrote:
> I have
> succesfully managed to get PmWiki to work with the Boa lightweight web
> server (http://www.boa.org) on linux, but I had to patch things a bit.
> Namely, embedded '?' characters in the HTTP "Location:" header get
> translated by Boa into '%3F', thus causing the client browser not to be
> redirected.

This has *got* to be a bug in the Boa server--it should not be translating
the '?'.  The HTTP/1.1 protocol is fairly explicit that '?' is part of
a valid http: URL, see
   http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec3.html#sec3.2.2

What version of Boa are you using? From looking at the Boa source code
it appears that in March 2002 the server was changed to not translate '?'
into %3F.

> To overcome this, I have changed PmWiki to use client-side
> redirection.

This certainly works--good job.  Note that PmWiki's use of the Location:
header is also client-side redirection (it causes webservers to issue
a 302 Moved Temporarily header) which causes the browser to jump to the
new location.  The problem is simply that Boa is incorrectly modifying
the URL portion of the Location: header.

> Another thing is that Boa knows nothing about BasicAuth. Fortunately
> I found that PmWiki already contains code for using SessionAuth instead,
> although it had not been activated. I would humbly suggest you make it
> a local.php configuration variable, like all others.

I'll probably do this.  Good idea, and thanks for your comments!