[Pmwiki-users] InterMap definitions

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at sci.tamucc.edu
Fri Feb 14 08:51:00 CST 2003

I'm thinking about adding three InterMap definitions to PmWiki and would
like feedback (along the lines of "great idea", "good idea", "bad idea",
"really bad idea", or "what are you talking about?").

A brief history: InterMap allows a site administrator to create URI-shortcuts;
for example, the default intermap.txt file defines "PmWiki:" as a shortcut
to http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/, so that the wiki markup
"PmWiki:PmWikiUsers" becomes a link to
http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/PmWikiUsers.  Of course, the URIs don't
have to be wiki URIs, thus "ISBN:" is a InterMap shortcut to
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/.  Site administrators
are also able to add their own InterMap definitions via the localmap.txt
file; I commonly define "SciTechWiki:" as a shortcut to
http://www.sci.tamucc.edu/wiki/.

I'm thinking of defining three "special" InterMap links:

   ThisPage - the URL of this page
   ThisWiki - the URL for this wiki
   ThisGroup - the URL for this group

With these InterMap entries in place, one could do markup like:

   [[ThisPage:?action=edit Edit this page]]
   [[ThisPage:?action=attr Change this page's passwords]]
   [[ThisWiki:?action=search&text=PmWiki Search this site for "PmWiki"]]
   [[ThisWiki:?action=crypt Build an encrypted password]]
   [[ThisGroup:GroupAttributes?action=attr Change this group's passwords]]
   [[ThisGroup:GroupHeader?action=edit Change this group's header]]
   [[ThisPage:?action=diff See this page's history]]

Good idea?

Also, should this be a pluggable feature in the scripts directory (activated
via an include() line in local.php) or should it be built-in to PmWiki
directly?  Right now I'm leaning towards "pluggable feature"--I think
modularity is good-- but even if it was built into PmWiki it'd be possible
for a person to disable ThisWiki/ThisGroup/ThisPage via entries
in localmap.txt.

All comments greatly appreciated.