[Pmwiki-users] Idea for FastForward or Link-next of page trails

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sat Aug 16 16:08:09 CDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 11:09:03PM +0200, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> I googled for: Opera rel next
> and found this:
> 	http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/5181.htm
> and managed to get it to work:
> 	http://www.md.kth.se/~chr/t5.html
> basically a statement such as this is needed in <HEAD>
> 	<link rel='next' href='t4.html'>
> So I guess that the trail code really should output a <link>-statement to
> the head of the document. It works in opera if the <link>-statement is in
> the body too, but that's not valid HTML.

Unfortunately, this is a *lot* more difficult to implement than simply
putting rel='next' into the anchor links, because the trails.php code
will have to prescan the page to find and process wikitrails before
the page ever gets handed over to the formatting routines to determine
the link targets (and this would have to be done *after* includes are
processed in the page itself).  It can be done, but it'll require a lot
of redesign to the basic system so I'll probably just leave things as
they are for now (without rel=next) unless there's a huge need/demand
for it.

It would've been nice if HTML/XHTML allowed <link> tags in the <body>,
or if Opera recognized rel= in anchor tags.  Oh well.  I guess browsers
still aren't quite "there" yet.