[Pmwiki-users] Internationalization structure

Ruediger Marwein ruediger.marwein
Sun Aug 3 14:25:08 CDT 2003

Hi,

I just took a look at the internationalization files.
The current structure (various copies of html and translated text) doesn't
look satisfying to me.
Yes, it makes it easy to add internationalization to PmWiki in the standard
installation... but with several local-files and modules from the cookbook
it's pretty hard to keep it internationalized.

For my projects including internationalization I always use tags for the text
to be displayed in a defined language. Such as i18n:SearchWiki which gets
replaced during parsing of the page.

So the data structure would look like:
tagname[language][country] = text
for country i use "default" and e.g. "austria" for a differing text to the
default german. This reflects the "de_DE"-like notation.

That way I can easily use html-templates and do not have to copy and paste
html-code just for using a different text.

What do you think?

Gr33tZ
Ruediger

PS.: I do not mean storing whole Sites into this. The single site translation
seems to be OK that way.

--
Ich liebe es, wenn ein Plan funktioniert.
  Hannibal Smith