[Pmwiki-users] Nested group permissions

kinhost kinhost at kinhost.org
Wed Apr 30 07:46:22 CDT 2003

Pm wrote to Crisses:
>> I have a complaint.  I want to have a nested group structure...like movie
>> ratings, there's a section for G-Rating, PG-13, NC-17 and XXX.
>
> I need some clarification here... you're wanting separate WikiGroups
> for G-Rating, PG-13, NC-17, and XXX, and you're wanting the passwords
> for the higher groups to be available to the lower groups.

I want people with XXX password to automatically be granted access to
G-Rating, PG-13, and NC-17 (while PG13 would only have access to G-Rating).
So I want the people in the most restricted circles to be given access to
the less restricted circles.  For example:  If you're over 18, you can rent
all the movies.  If you're 6, you can only rent Blues Clues and the like :)

> In addition, you're wanting attr passwords to automatically imply
> edit/read permissions, and edit passwords to automatically imply read
> permissions.

Yes.  I was thinking it was absurd to have to hand someone 8 passwords if
they have XXX read & write access to my wiki.  It might make sense for areas
that have no overlap on some wikis, but it's possible other wikis have a
similar problem as well.  I think it's very discouraging to invite someone
to the wiki and hand them 8 passwords to keep track of :)  Also, even if I
made the read & edit passwords the same at each level, there's still the
issue of having to enter the passwords multiple times (less a problem, but
still annoying).

> Is it a requirement that your authors be able to set/change passwords
> via the web page, or would it be sufficient to have all of the passwords
> set/maintained in local.php by the WikiAdministrator?

I don't really need anyone but me to set passwords, so it is not a
requirement that authors be able to set/change passwords on the web pages.

>  If you need authors
> to be able to set/change passwords on pages and groups, it gets a bit
> tricky but we can probably make it work.  If only the WikiAdministrator
> needs the ability to set passwords, it can be done fairly easily in
> local.php without any modification to pmwiki.php.

Terrific.  I like that. :)

> Let me know the answers to the above and I'll give some potential
> solutions.  Thanks again!

Thank YOU :)

Crisses
--
"Your patient has no more right to all the truth you know than he has to all
the medicine in your saddlebag....He should get only so much as is good for