[Pmwiki-users] enhanced search?

Jonathan Scott Duff duff at pobox.com
Tue Apr 29 09:22:09 CDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 07:28:48AM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> But, my thought in response to John's suggestion was to follow a Google-like
> syntax and allow "group:Main" to appear in the search text box to limit
> the search to a group (analogous to Google's site: syntax that limits
> search results to pages in a specific domain).  Thus the search string
> "group:Main apple pie" would display all pages in group Main
> containing the phrase "apple pie".  Or, one could enter "apple pie group:Main"
> to achieve the same thing.

I like it. I especially like it if it doesn't preclude the possibility
of searching for particular intermap links. (i.e.,
"SciTechWiki:ComputerScienceClub group:DNRNotes" would find all intermap
links to the computer science club in the DNRNotes group)

> As long as I'm working on searching I don't think I'd be opposed to
> moving closer to a Google-like search syntax ...

Sounds good to me.

> If we take this approach we might also force word boundaries on search
> terms, thus searches for "apple" would not find "pineapple", "applet",
> or "grapples" (currently PmWiki's search function returns any page
> containing the search string even if the thing being searched for is
> part of a bigger word).

So ... what if I want to find occurences of "pineapple", "grapples",
and "applet" when searching for "apple"?  Could you make it so that
search for "apple" (with the quotes) forces word boundaries but apple
(sans quotes) does not?

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff