[Pmwiki-users] Re: Need help with markup

Jessica Tishmack jessica at cbi.tamucc.edu
Tue Oct 15 14:13:26 CDT 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
>
> > This is the same thing ...
> >
> > 	[[table]] Where does this go?  Cell 1?
> > 	[[cell]] Cell 2?
> > 	[[nextrow]] Row 2 column 1
> > 	[[cell]] Row 2 column 2
> > 	[[tableend]]
> >
> > But then how does this parse?
> >
> > 	[[table]]
> > 	[[cell]] Cell 1?
> > 	[[cell]] Cell 2?
> > 	[[nextrow]]
> > 	[[cell]] Row 2 Cell 1?
> > 	[[cell]] Row 2 Cell 2?
> > 	[[tableend]]
>
> We're back to my original point--the separate nextrow tag makes it
> confusing because we're not sure what happens with text between the
> nextrow tag and the cell tag.  (The same problem occurs in HTML, BTW--
> what happens to text between a <tr> tag and a <td> tag?)
>
> But if you look at my original formulation:
>
> 	[[table]]
> 	[[cell]] Cell 1
> 	[[cell]] Cell 2
> 	[[cell nextrow]] Row 2 Cell 1
> 	[[cell]] Row 2 Cell 2
> 	[[tableend]]
>
> There's almost *no* chance for misinterpretation about what is
> happening.  Jessica's original point was that the separate [[nextrow]]
> tag was more self-explanatory, but I don't see how it's any more or
> less "explanatory" than what I have above (maybe I'm just being dense
> here).

Ok, I'll go with the above, since this seems to leave the least amount of
room for confusion.  Although, if one of users just *really* didn't get it
and typed

       [[table]]
       I'm a user who doesn't know how to use this
       [[cell]] Cell 1
       [[cell]] Cell 2
       [[cell nextrow]] Row 2 Cell 1
       [[cell]] Row 2 Cell 2
       [[tableend]]

What happens to the "I'm a user..."?  Ah, I see you've answered it below.
Ok, this sounds good to me now.