[Pmwiki-users] Re: Need help with markup

Jonathan Scott Duff duff at pobox.com
Sun Oct 13 22:53:19 CDT 2002

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 09:57:27PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> > How about an "escape" mechanism that will allow the user to use
> > arbitrary HTML.  Something like this:
>
> I'm still strongly opposed to the idea of allowing arbitrary HTML
> in pages.  The main problem is that authors who know HTML will start using
> it in lots of pages, discouraging authors who aren't comfortable with HTML
> from editing it.  It's against the "author-friendly" nature of PmWiki.

Good point.

> Oh, I wasn't necessarily going to make it line oriented--I was going to
> leave it inline-able.

Oh, so I could do this?

![[tstart border='1']][[trow]]Hi there[[trow]]What a header![[tend]]

:-)

> I chose the double brackets just because they are already being used to
> mean "things out of the ordinary" (e.g., [[noheader]] [[spacewikiwords]])
> and I didn't necessarily want to introduce a new markup character
> sequence altogether.

I'm getting the feeling that doubled brackets are being overloaded a
little beyond my comfort zone.  But, since I don't have another
alternative, doubled brackets could work.

> There are some other specialized markups that I've been wanting to
> create and since the double brackets are already the canonical markers
> for other specialized markups I thought I'd just continue using those.

How long before you reinvent HTML again? Maybe it's time you resurrect
the markup you created in your PhD thesis and incorporate it into PmWiki
somehow. 1/2 ;-)

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff