[Pmwiki-users] WikiTrail loops

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at sci.tamucc.edu
Thu Nov 7 10:22:15 CST 2002

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:

> > > <PrevPage | ^UpPage | NextPage>  			OutlinePage
> >
> > The ideal would be something like a cross, 2-dimentional navigation:
> >
> >               UpPage
> > PrevPage | CurrentPage | NextPage
> >              DownPage
>
> Yes, but how do you get back to the outline page?  I think it should
> show up somewhere on each of its constituent pages.

Why, it would be:

                      TopOutLinePage
                          UpPage
FirstPage | PrevPage | CurrentPage | NextPage | LastPage
                         DownPage

of course! But if we're going that far, we might as well do:

TopOutLinePage
  FirstLevelPageA
  FirstLevelPageB
    SecondLevelPage1
    SecondLevelPage2
      ThirdLevelPage
      PreviousPage
      CurrentPage
      NextPage
      PageAfterNext
      ThirdLevelPageAfterThat
    SecondLevelPage3
    SecondLevelPage4
  FirstLevelPageC
  FirstLevelPageD

which seems like a *lot* of stuff to be generating from a single
<|OutlinePage|> markup and placing in every content page of the
outline.  Pretty soon the page contain more outline/navigation text
than actual page contents.  :-)

> And this  rendering doesn't inline too well (not that mine above did
> either).

Scott has hit the nail on the head--many of these don't inline well,
which means they have to be relegated to boxes, sidebars, or tables
which should properly be *outside* of the wiki content itself; i.e.,
in the header, footer, or margins.  So, the key is to come up with
functions that make it easy to generate these navigational elements
in the border elements as opposed to within the wiki contents (this
is the path I'm currently taking).