[Pmwiki-users] Happy WikiTrails to you

Jonathan Scott Duff duff at pobox.com
Mon Nov 4 17:00:53 CST 2002

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 04:35:53PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> 1. I see Trails and Groups as fundamentally different.  Trails define a
>    sequence of pages; groups define sets of related pages (which may
>    not be in sequence).

Heh, that's almost the same thinking that led me to the thought of
Trails as Groups except that I highlighted the similarities in my
mind rather than the differences.  But, I see your point.

>    Also, I can imagine multiple intersecting trails, which would be
>    difficult to implement by overloading the group structure.

Yep. I hadn't thought of that. Also, I guess if Trails are implemented
as you have them now, you'll have the ability to create Trails that span
multiple Groups, n'est pas?

> 2. I'm trying very hard to avoid distinguishing pages by name patterns;
>    I certainly didn't want to introduce it just for this particular feature.
>    Nothing else in PmWiki uses page name patterns to distinguish pages.
>    I can foresee that people would be surprised when their page semantics
>    are suddenly different just because they chose a name that happens to
>    coincide with some special feature.
>
>    To me, page name patterns are okay as long as they're done by
>    convention (e.g., the "*Category" convention used by many wikis)
>    and not because they're supported by specific implementation code.

You'd make a good language designer :-)

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff