[pmwiki-devel] SkinTest page for developers

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Aug 29 20:46:41 CDT 2016

Hi all,

This is just a note to point out that the SkinTest-Compact page has
drifted away from one of its original intended purposes.

When I created that page it was intentionally a very compact page. The
content fit into a typical 1024x768 screen's browser viewport (size
varies from OS to OS and browser to browser).  Right now it won't fit
in the viewport on my 1920x1200 screen.

There were two reasons:

  1) It could be used for compatibility testing in BrowserCam.

  2) It could be used to quickly and conveniently evaluate skins.

Reason #1 may not be necessary any more. The content should probably
fit into a 1366x768 screen's viewport though.

Reason #2, however, is still valid. A visitor who's unfamiliar with
PmWiki should be able to evaluate skins in a user-friendly manner.

I have in mind someone who's considering trying PmWiki for the first
time. Attention spans are even shorter now than they were then! :-)

Back then I created a different page for skin development at
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/SkinTestAssortment .

Proposal:

I just created a Skins/SkinTest page that could provide something in
the middle. Right now it (:include:)s the SkinTest-Compact page.
Additional markup -- tables and such -- can be added below the Compact
page's content.

This would allow the Compact page to revert to something more suitable
for someone who's unfamiliar with PmWiki, in particular someone who's
evaluating whether to try PmWiki for the first time.

Hagan

p.s: The list of skin links was a curated list, for reason #2.

p.p.s: That was a while ago!
Then:
http://www.pmwiki.org/pmwiki/uploads/Skins/HaleyDog.jpg
More recently: