[pmwiki-devel] Internal server error message

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Wed Oct 8 14:35:00 CDT 2014

[Re-posting to the list.]

Is there anything in the Apache error_log?

Does it happen when you edit pages, or when you only read pages of your
wiki? Does it happen to specific pages, or not? Does it always happen to
the specific pages, or sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't for
the same page?

Have you enabled some recipes? Does the problem still appear when the
recipes are disabled?

Do you have some complex wiki markups like embedded pagelists? Pagelists
are not really designed to be embedded in other pagelists (there is a
global $Cursor variable which may get overwritten and lead to infinite
loops and crashes). If that's the case, there is no easy solution.

Do you have complex page text variables (PTVs) containing other page
text variables, or containing markup expressions, or conditionals? It is
possible that at some point there is an infinite loop which consumes all
the CPU/RAM resources of the server. Recent PmWiki versions try to
detect the embedded PTVs and exit the infinite loops, but there might be
something it fails to detect.

The automatic tasks that PmWiki does from time to time are:
- updating the wiki.d/.pageindex file for faster searches, this might
rarely cause high CPU/RAM usage, if your files reside on a network hard
drive attached to the server;
- retrieving the blocklists from the internet, this might rarely cause
high CPU/RAM usage if your server doesn't have a stable/fast incoming
internet connection
- processing the blocklists: look at the downloaded blocklist pages (in
SiteAdmin/): if they look like HTML, try disabling those blocklists. In
the past blocklist providers have dropped their websites so wikis were
getting content from some cybersquatters which was not adapted for the
blocklist engine.

There may be more cases, but as you can imagine, intermittent errors are
hard to debug.

Petko