[pmwiki-devel] Default Skin: Switch to CSS Table?

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 10 19:02:50 CDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 7:54 AM, michael paulukonis
<xraysmalevich at gmail.com> wrote:
> From a novice standpoint, tables were the most difficult thing to work with
> when I was learning HTML.
>
> I still dislike them, even for tabular data. Where, I grudgingly admit, they
> do make sense.

I've just added some explanation to the skin's page, including

  Moving control of presentation into the CSS stylesheet allows wikiauthors'
  contributed structure and content to be more accurately represented.
  HTML Tables can be used exclusively for tabular data.

  For example, this makes it easier for machines to accurately parse a page,
  including

  - "screen scrapers" (e.g. tools used for offline reading)
  - web bots (e.g. search engine crawlers)
  - and screen readers (text-to-speech assistive technology)

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Skins/DefaultSkinWithoutTable#overview

Now two versions of the skin are uploaded:

The current version, uploaded yesterday, has some minor changes that
make modifying CSS easier and more predictable per PmWiki Philosophy
#5.

There's also a minimally-modified version with only the switch from
HTML table to CSS table and some backward-compatibily cruft removed.
The <div> that replaces the <tr> now uses a "style" attribute rather
than an "id" attribute.

-Hagan