[pmwiki-devel] Default Skin: Switch to CSS Table?

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 3 16:10:15 CDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:27 PM, H. Fox <haganfox at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 12:25 AM, Petko Yotov <5ko at 5ko.fr> wrote:
>> Do you think it is better to replace the default skin, or to distribute
>> PmWiki with both skins?

I've discovered a one-skin option to consider.

Conditional Comments are only used by IE. We could use those to insert
the HTML table elements only for old versions of Internet Explorer.

For example, this

      <!--wiki:{$Group}.SideBar {$SiteGroup}.SideBar-->

becomes something like this

    <!--[if lt IE 8 ]><td valign='top'><![endif]-->
      <!--wiki:{$Group}.SideBar {$SiteGroup}.SideBar-->
    <!--[if lt IE 8 ]></td><![endif]-->

I've uploaded the same skin as before, but with the conditional
comments inserted for IE 6&7 compatibility.  It's minimally tested,
except to pass the W3C Validator.

  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Skins/DefaultSkinWithoutTable#files

Hagan