[pmwiki-devel] PmWiki Debian package

Chris Knadle Chris.Knadle at coredump.us
Wed Apr 30 14:28:42 CDT 2014

On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 21:51:12 Petko Yotov wrote:
> [Sorry if this messes up threads, I somehow accidentally deleted your
> message.]
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your message.
>
> I've looked briefly at the install script, and I have two questions:
>
> Is there a reason to rename the "uploads" directory to "images"?

Using an 'images' directory was what I had been doing for uploads, but I
forget why; I think the reason is likely obsolete.

In discussing this with XES I think the answer to your question is "no", and
thus I should probably not ask the user to change the directory from "uploads"
to "images".  The script does not make this change itself -- it copies the
default sample-config.php file as the field's local/config.php, then outputs
the suggestion only if the '-i' option was chosen.  I should probably simply
remove this option.

Thanks for catching this.

> Do I understand correctly that the script expects the administrator to
> select a directory (or to be in one) which is inside the server's document
> root without verifying this?

I see it would be nice to be able to check that the files/dirs were being
installed somewhere under a DocumentRoot.

When I wrote the script I made the assumption that the user should be able to
set up a PmWiki "field" location before a document root existed.  [Not a
requirement, it's just what I was thinking.]

Furthermore I'm not making an assumption of a particular web server being used
either -- Debian has many web servers available -- which might make checking
for a document root more complicated.  I've included an example "site"
configuration file for Apache2 only because that's what I happen to use and so
I can give an example for it, but the package itself intentionally does not
depend on Apache2 nor any other web server since there are was of getting
PmWiki running without one such as:

   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Standalone

To at least try to catch obvious errors what I've done is to have the
pmwiki-newfield script check any stated directory that it /is/ a directory,
and that the directory is empty, before copying/creating files/directories.

If I knew that "DocumentRoot" was something standardized that any and all
httpd daemons used in their configs I suppose I could do an 'fgrep -r' for
that to insure that the user was creating a field in a directory under one of
them, but off-the-top-of-my-head I don't know for sure that's always going to
be the case.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle