[pmwiki-devel] pmwiki licensing: AGPL option?

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon Feb 28 14:50:17 CST 2011

Is it possible to have an option to download pmwiki under the Affero GPL
[1], as well as the GPL?

We want to set up a site with PmWiki plus the PublishPDF library as an
open book authoring, typesetting and publishing platform.

To qualify as an "open software service" [2] we need to make the source
code available for download. Our preference is to use the AGPL, so that
others who may build on our work are required to distribute any changes
they make, if their site is public.

I do not think PmWiki ought to *require* use of the AGPL for public
hosted services, but perhaps this could be encouraged, and offered as an
option.

This could be achieved most simply by providing an alternative download
that includes the AGPL plus an explanatory note. I do not think it is
necessary to modify the licence notice in all the scripts.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.html
[2] http://www.opendefinition.org/software-service/

JR

--