[pmwiki-devel] Add guid tag to each item of RSS feeds

Daniel Roesler diafygi at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 11:33:01 CST 2010

That's a good point in using $ItemISOTime or $LastModifiedTime instead
of a new variable.

A unique id is basically required for the RSS feeds to work in most
aggregators. Different times are not going to be recognized as new in
aggregators.

The RSS 2.0 specifications recommends a guid
(http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/rss/rss.html#comments), as does Google
Reader (http://www.google.com/support/reader/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=69998).
The <link> element can be unique for each entry, or a <guid> element
can have the unique id while the <link> element has the basic link to
the page.

I say we have the <link> element contain {$PageUrl} (like it does now)
and add a separate <guid> element that adds on a unique identifier by
default. I'm ok with the uid being ISO instead of Unix, but we really
need unique links for RSS feeds.

Avast!
Daniel Roesler
diafygi at gmail.com