[pmwiki-devel] Help with understanding an authentication problem

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Tue May 26 03:04:27 CDT 2009

John Rankin wrote:

[...]

>It seems to me that we ought to be able to define a custom
>$AuthFunction that checks the IP address of the requestor,

consider also requests from "dynamic" IP addresses. People might have
changing addresses.

Remember the "DNSauth" code I posted last 2008-09-25 in the
pmwiki-users list and asked for review. I'm still not sure whether
this code works.

Therefore I mad http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/DNSauth now and
ask again for comments and/or review.

[...]

>To make this work, the recipe would have to tell pmwiki,
>"Instead of prompting for a username and/or password,
>check the IP address of the requestor."

s/Instead/before/

My solution uses authuser and adds an entry to the 'authlist' array.
This might be no solution for you, but you could use the DNS part,
anyway.

>>From the look of authuser, pmwiki treats authentication
>as a black box that returns allowed/disallowed, but I
>find the code hard to understand.

Ack. I don't understand it completely.

Oliver