[pmwiki-devel] PostPage in recipe

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Sun Mar 29 09:13:07 CDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Hans <design5 at softflow.co.uk> wrote:

> Sunday, March 29, 2009, 2:01:55 PM, Peter wrote:
>
> > I have run into difficulty running UpdatePage() from config.php.  In my
> own
> > trouble-shooting I determined there were just too many things
> uninitialized,
> > but perhaps I was wrong in that conclusion.  If someone has successfully
> run
> > UpdatePage() from config.php I would be very grateful for any pointers.
>
> I am not sure what you mean by "running UpdatePage() from config.php".
> Surely you don't want to call that function with every page load.
> If you have  a custom action defined, then such action will cause
> acutstom function to be called, and you can use UpdatePage() within
> it. Same goes for a custom markup calling a custom markup function.
> So where exactly are the difficulties?

I don't remember the exact scenario...  Maybe trying to log actions &
users?  But, yes, the desire was to write to a page based on certain
conditions within config.php.  Maybe this was trying to set a PTV in a
user's profile to indicate their last action along with a timestamp -- I
think that was it...

So that rules out a custom action -- the desire was to write in conjunction
with the browse or edit action.  Theoretically it could have been done via a
markup in a site-wide header or maybe by registering a shutdown function,
but the conclusion was that was too much complication for a relatively
simple function.

-Peter