[pmwiki-devel] OFF-TOPIC - PHP/MySQL app example

Henrik Bechmann henrik.bechmann at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 31 09:12:34 CST 2009

I'm learning Kohana http://forum.kohanaphp.com/, which has pretty well
developed drivers for database access, and I believe the MySQL driver is
among the better developed. I chose Kohana because it has a light
footprint, and is OOP. But....

But there are issues: they haven't dealt well with the issue of
returning error messages (I hope and believe they're working on that for
the next version), and they haven't used the pdo framework
http://ca.php.net/manual/en/book.pdo.php (again I believe they're
incorporating that into the next version).

PDO has a standard error reporting mechanism:
http://ca.php.net/manual/en/pdostatement.errorinfo.php

Nothing is easy.

- Henrik

Petko Yotov wrote:
> On Saturday 31 January 2009 12:52:44 Peter Bowers wrote:
>
>> Apologies for the off-topic post, but you guys here are the most
>> knowledgeable people I know about PHP development...
>>
>> I'm just starting to get my feet wet with developing an application on a
>> PHP/MySQL platform.  I've got it mostly working as a prototype, but it's
>> not pretty.  I'd like to find some application that will show me elegant
>> ways of accessing MySQL from PHP...
>>
>> Do any of you know a good open-source app I could look at to get ideas and
>> patterns and etc?
>>

> For starting a new program, unless it is a very very simple one and will never
> grow larger, I can recommend the use of a PHP framework that is adapted for
> MySQL integration. See a list at Wikipedia:
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Php_framework#PHP
>
> In the past (2006), I have tried CodeIgniter which had some excellent features
> and excellent documentation. See :
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CodeIgniter
>   http://codeigniter.com/
>
> If not a web framework, at least you should use an abstraction layer for the
> database access -- instead of the built-in functions mysql_query() and other
> mysql_*: your own sql_query() which calls mysql_query() -- to be able to
> later migrate to another database engine.
>
> There is also phpclasses.org where you can find a number of useful snippets
> (free registration required).
>
> Thanks,
> Petko

Henrik Bechmann