[pmwiki-devel] RFC: Blogger

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Sat Jan 10 17:04:37 CST 2009

Over the past few weeks I've been working on a blogging system that
provides basic blog functionality using only PmWiki functionality, with
minimal code. The goal was to provide all basic blog functionality in a
way that was friendly to the Author, and provided separation between
data and display. Over the next few weeks I'll be updating some skins to
be compatible with Blogger.

I've put up the first Alpha version at Cookbook/Blogger, and there's a
demo running at wiki.solidgone.org/Blogger/Main. The admin password is
"bloggeradmin", and the edit password is "bloggeredit" -- feel free to
create new blog entries, and add/approve/delete comments.

I'm looking for feedback on the approach I've taken, the use of PmWiki
functions, and general coding. The code is pretty simple, most of it is
PmWiki configuration, but I've put together some developer notes as a
quick guide (Cookbook/Blogger-DeveloperDocs).

As well as general feedback, I'd like specific advice on:
1] I recommend locking the wiki down with an Edit password. However, in
order to allow comment posting by users not logged in, Blogger sets the
Edit password to "" for comment posting only. Is there a better way to
do this?

2] I store blog entry attributes as PTV's. Since I want to allow PmWiki
markup in the main body I change the PTV markup to (::...:...::) for the
entrybody, replacing (:entrybody:...:) with (::entrybody:...::) using an
ROS entry. The only way I can see to determine the true end of the PTV
field (the :) ) is to search for the last occurrence -- other
occurrences might simply be closing user entered markup. This works
fine, until I need to add a new PVT, which is added to the end of
existing blog entries, throwing everything off. Any better ideas for
locating the close to entrybody?

3] I provide a field for entry of an Author, but don't store this as a
PTV. Rather I change the PmWiki page level Author attribute. Is this a
'bad thing'?

All feedback welcomed.

  ~ ~ Dave