[pmwiki-devel] problem with POST vs GET in form

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Thu Apr 16 12:21:23 CDT 2009

I have a form I'm trying to debug for someone.  It throws an "internal
server error" when I have (:input form:) or (:input form method=POST:)
but works fine when I use (:input form method=GET:).  (The default
method for (:input form:) is POST.)   Then if I am using POST I can
make the form break if I have *any* page-writes or I can make it work
if I remove all page-writes from the form processing.

Here's the full error message:

===(snip)===
Internal Server Error
unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, support at supportwebsite.com
and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might
have done that may have caused the error.

===(snip)===

(Actually it only gives this full error message when I refresh the
screen.  When I just push the submit button half the time I get a
blank screen and hte other half I get a partially generated page from
the skin being used.  Then when I press f5 and resend I get that error
message.)

My problem is that I can only reproduce this problem on a single host.
 I've got several platforms to test on and they all work fine and I've
got a couple people using this particular recipe and it works fine for
them.  And I've really narrowed it down to just a couple lines in the
whole page doing absolutely standard things.  In other words, I'm
pretty convinced that there's something funky about the setup of this
one machine that's causing the problem, but I don't have a clue where
to look for something like this...

Here's the description I've got of the platform:

===(snip)===
We're using the 2.2.1 PMwiki and we're hosting with Go Daddy, which
has us at PHP 5.x.
===(snip)===

Here's the code for the form if that helps:

===(snip)===
(:input form method=POST:)
Username: (:input text username ${readonly}:)
(:input submit save_button "Create New User":)
(:input end:)
{(echo --stdout:Login.TestData "abc" )}
{(echo --raw "OUT OF THE FORM")}
===(snip)===

The first "echo" MX writes the string "abc" to the page Login.TestData
while the 2nd "echo" simply generates an "echo" from PHP.  Everything
else is just plain-vanilla pmwiki.  The write to the page (via
UpdatePage()) works perfectly but the next MX is never processed -- we
don't get "OUT OF THE FORM" displayed on the screen.

Again, I would put it down to simply a bug in WikiSh, but (1) I'm not
sure what I could do to generate the "Internal Server Error" and (2)
"echo" is my most commonly used MX in WikiSh and it has never
generated this problem before and it only occurs on this particular
host.

I'm hoping somebody might have some kind of idea of what might be able
to be played with in PHP settings...?

-Peter