[pmwiki-devel] Developer Documentation (was: bug in RestorePage()?)

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Mon Apr 13 20:50:50 CDT 2009

On Monday 13 April 2009 21:10:58 Petko Yotov wrote:
> A developer working on a recipe, probably should be able to find it out by
> reading the function, and by looking at the URL when a "Restore" link is
> clicked from the diff page.

Sorry, this needs a clarification. This is how I found it out, and in this
precise case it was not very difficult to understand how the function works.

There are many places in the PmWiki code where it is far more difficult to
understand, or seems so at first sight, like PageLists, WikiTrails, the
MarkupToHTML engine, UpdatePage, AuthUser, Drafts, PageStore...

If something is not (yet) well documented, the reason is that we need to have
some time to document it. Proceeding our tasks by priority (bugs > live
website > user documentation > PITS > recipes > mailing lists > new core
features), the developer docs seem somehow less urgent. Not to mention that
some real life events may have higher priorities for us to spend time on.

That said, anyone could contribute to improving the documentation. It is a
wiki, and if something is not perfect, someone will fix it. It may be easier
to do it at the moment when we are working with some piece of code and
understand it well.

By "we" and "us" I mean people of the PmWiki community, those who use it,
those who write recipes and tinker with it, those who read the lists. And
except for writing to the core and cutting releases, everything on the
task-priority lists could be done by the community.

Thanks,
Petko