[pmwiki-devel] A thought: Use profile pages for individual settings

sti at pooq.com sti at pooq.com
Wed Jan 2 06:41:15 CST 2008

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> Just had a thought which I should share before going to bed.
>
> If we want to allow users/readers to have personal settings (skin?), how
> about we store these in the users' profile page?
>
> Perhaps it could be as simple as a line saying:
>
>     skin=cuteskin
>
> in the page [[~chr]]. Then, when the user is identified as 'chr', the
> page Profiles/Chr is scanned for settings such as what skin that user
> wants.

I plan to experiment with just that feature on a site I'm working on
now. The plan is for users to log in with a username, which will also be
the name of their profile page. By default the profile page will be
read-only, but there'll be a form recipe to to set individual profile
preferences.

So far all I've got set up is the $Author name which is loaded from the
profile (all links to users use the username, but display the Author name).