[pmwiki-devel] windows web server...

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Wed May 2 14:45:46 CDT 2007

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2007, Neil Herber (nospam) wrote:
>
>> The Editor wrote:
>>> I'm fixing to install a good all in one web server on my new laptop so
>>> I can take PmWiki on the road for my next trip.  I've been thinking of
>>> using XAMP.  Anyone have any recommendations?
>>
>> I have put XAMPP, PmWiki, Simple Machines Forum, and WordPress all onto
>> one memory stick.
>
> Oooh... could I have a recipe for this?
>
> Pretty please,

Sure!

At the risk of sounding flippant - there is no recipe.

1) Download XAMPP. I am using xampplite-win32-1.5.4a.zip. The full XAMPP
includes a bunch of stuff I did not need, like the Mercury mail server!
2) Unzip XAMPP lite onto your memory stick.
3) Launch xampp-portcheck.exe to make sure the needed ports are not in use.
4) Launch xampp-control.exe to get a very nice GUI control panel that
lets you start and stop various components.
5) Start Apache from the GUI. Start MySQL if you are running SMF or
WordPress.
6) Browse to http://localhost/ or http://127.0.0.1/ and be amazed.
7) The document root default to htdocs/ - put the serveable bits there.

To expand a bit on 7), I created htdocs/ subfolders called blog/, wiki/,
and smf/ and unzipped the relevant apps there.

This works amazingly well on a fast stick - one with at least 8 Mbit/s
read and write transfers.

Note that as shipped, XAMPP is not intended as a production server. You
will need to lock it down if you intend to use it on the internet.
Otherwise, it is pretty safe, because for someone to even see it on a
LAN, they would need to know your IP.

As a bonus, XAMPP Apache comes with SSL installed. The Windoze binaries
from apache.org do not.

I have run this stick on laptops and desktop Windoze machines and even
on an Intel Mac under Parallels.

Under XP (not tried under Vista) the Windoze firewall traps the start up
of the various servers. Just approve them when the dialog appears and
all is fine. You can remove the approvals from the firewall later if you
want to leave no traces behind.

Please feel free to ask if you have any problems.

Neil

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/