[pmwiki-devel] [pmwiki-users] New Recipe: IntuitiveSpacing

The Editor editor at fast.st
Sun Mar 18 00:19:55 CDT 2007

Hans, just a quick question about this recipe...

If I understand your recipe correctly, I should be able to paste
content into a textbox (with leading spaces, tabs, returns, etc)  and
when that content is processed and inserted into a wiki page
(ZAP/Fox), it would be displayed basically like it looks in the
textbox--thanks to various markup definition replacements, and some
style settings?  Is that correct?  If so, fantastic!

I've had something like this for a while in ZAP (called Magic Boxes),
but it works differently. Basically ZAP does a subtle transformation
of the data value when it's saved as a text var, so that spaces and
line returns are converted to &nbsp;s and [[<<]]'s.  Then I use a
(:keep:) markup to reconvert them back for re-display in the textarea.
 It works fine--except if you look at the actual code, you'll see all
these transformations, which makes it a bit of a mess to look at.

Couple questions...  Am I understanding properly what this recipe
does? What about pages that already have lot's of double slashes to
end lines.  Will they suddenly show up in the page output?  Does this
change the underlying code saved to the page at all--or suddenly start
working on existing pages as expected?  I've looked at the code but
it's a little out of my range.  Thanks for your answers--and  your
brilliant ideas.

Stripping the Magic Boxes capabilities out of ZAP and relying on your
recipe has a lot of really nice advantages. I think it is one of the
most exciting things I've seen at PmWiki since I've gotten involved.
I'm really thrilled.  Thank you!

Cheers,
Dan

PS.  Personally, I really like the name Intuitive Spacing! Catches the
idea of it better...