[pmwiki-devel] cron problem

The Editor editor at fast.st
Sun Jan 7 04:27:05 CST 2007

On 1/7/07, The Editor <editor at fast.st> wrote:
> Now that zap is running well, I'm on to another application with it.
> Just finished setting up a newsletter management website which allows
> you to easily create mail lists, add/drop addresses, send emails with
> easily controlled batch, throttle, and start settings, etc., and
> remembers those preferences for each mail list.  Has custom email
> templates and can even take custom input forms for inserting any other
> desired fields into the newsletter.  Also browsable/searchable
> archives, and logging.  Seems to be working great in demo mode.
>
> Anyway, now I'm in the process of getting cron to work, but it doesn't
> seem to be doing anything.  Here's the basics:
>
> I have a page called Main.Send with the (:zapnews:) markup on it.
> When I manually call this page, it processes the newsletters like it's
> supposed to.  I put this line in my cron tab and my isp confirms the
> path to wget is correct:
>
> /usr/bin/wget http://www.fast.st/zapnews/index.php?n=Main.Send
>
> I know the url is right because I can cut and paste that into my
> browser and it does what it's supposed to.  Can anyone explain why, or
> suggest a reason this might not be working?
>
> Cheers,
> Caveman

PS. The isp is now saying something seems to be wrong with their cron
system.  But in tinkering with the time settings some, I am now
managing to get cron message back every five minutes.  That's
promising.  Here's a sample if anyone spots a problem.

--03:15:01--  http://www.fast.st/zapnews/index.php?n=Main.Send
          => `index.php?n=Main.Send.3'

Resolving www.fast.st... 69.89.18.29
Connecting to www.fast.st|69.89.18.29|:80... connected.
Length: unspecified [text/html]

   0K ...                                                      12.10 KB/s

03:15:02 (12.10 KB/s) - `index.php?n=Main.Send.3' saved [3662]

Still no luck getting my emails sent of course...  But at least the
time seems to be working...  My isp is supposed to call me back once
they figure it out.  We'll see if they do.  (BlueHost has actaully got
excellent good tech support).

Cheers,
Dan